...Athens By Taxi
TOURS & TRANSFERS
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES
GREEK ISLANDS GUIDE
USEFUL LINKS
TIPS BY PAUL
PRICES

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AEGINA has a special place in Greek mythology and history.

It was the capital of Greece from 1827 to 1829. Aegina Town is situated on the west side of the island where the main port of the island is located. The town of Aegina is picturesque and lively throughout the year. Agios Nikolaos, the tiny church, welcomes the visitor on approaching Aegina by sea. Numerous neoclassical buildings dominate Aegina Town, reminding the visitor of the glory of the island. The best way to get to know the town is to wander through the narrow streets, where a lot of interesting shops, impressive traditional houses and monuments of the Kapodistrias period are situated. There are also many cafes, tavernas and bars, ideal for relaxation and entertainment.

ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE OF COLONA AND MUSEUM

The Hill of kolona was inhabited in prehistoric times through the classical period. Extensive walls and foundations have been discovered and excavations are still in progress. One erect column is all that remains of a Temple of Appolo built in the 6th c. BC. The Archaeological Museum is also at this site and contains a small but rich collection of pottery and sculpture from all periods of Aegina's history. One of the most significant exhibits is the statue of the Sphinx, a votive monument of the early classical period (460 BC), which was dedicated to the Temple of Appolo. It is an extraordinary sculpture, with a head of a woman and a body that is half eagle and half lion. The Sphinx of Aegina is from the 1903 Kolona excavations. (Tues-Sun 08:30-15:00, Ticket: Full 3 Euros - Reduced 2 Euros)

TEMPLE OF APHAIA

The Temple of Aphaia is one of the most beautiful classical temples in Greece and one of the oldest surviving. It stands on top of a pine-clad hill above Agia Marina from where you have a marvelous view of a mainland. The first temple on the site (700 BC) was dedicated to Aphaia, a deity from Crete. The Doric temple we see today was built about 490 BC of local porous sandstone, and it served as a model for the construction of the Parthenon and other temples in Greece, Asia, and southern Italy. On a clear day, you can make out the Temple of Poseidon at Sounio, as well as the Acropolis of Athens. It is said that the three temples form an isosceles triangle (the sacred triangle of antiquity). (Daily 08:00-17:00, Museum: Tues-Sun 08:30-14:15, Ticket: Full 4 Euros Reduced 2 Euros)

AEGINA MUSEUM OF HISTORY AND FOLKLORE

The Aegina Folklore Museum is housed in a 1828 neoclassical building, an endowment of Mrs Polimnia Iriotis to the Municipality of Aegina. Experience home and work life on the first floor of the building where the "Aegina House" is set up. Authentic old furniture paintings, costumes, lace and other features of domestic life are exhibited. On the ground floor, the "House of the Fisherman" features fishery and sponge fishing articles, while the "Cottage House" shows farm tools and the old days. The main hall of the ground floor and the courtyard host a wide range of temporary exhibitions, cultural events and lectures throughout the year.

CAPRALOS MUSEUM

The Christos Capralos museum lies on the northwestern side of Aegina, in the area of Plakakia, on the coast road. Outside the museum, next to the seashore, the bronze statue of the Greek Mother welcomes you. The museum is a pleasant 3km walk from the harbour along the coastal road. The works exhibited in the museum are of marble, Aeginean porous stone and wood; there are also exhibits of paintings, terracotta and ceramics.

AGIOS NEKTARIOS

The church is named after its patron, Agios Nektarios, who died in 1920 and was canonised in 1961. His memory is celebrated by the Church on 9 November.

PALEOCHORA

The hill of the medieval acropolis of Aegina, called Paleochora, rises just past the Agios Nektarios Church, on the left. Small scattered churches, 36 of he original 365, dot the hillside, alongside ruined cottages and towers. At an altitude of 355 metres, this is the "Palia Chora"of Aegina. Its history dates back to the 8th c. AD.

ELEONAS

Just opposite the second Marathonas beach is an uphill road leading to "Eleonas", a valley with aged olive trees, standing alone or in groves between 1500 and 2000 years old, forming a natural historical monument.

Copyright 2009-2017. All rights reserved.