...Athens By Taxi
TOURS & TRANSFERS
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES
GREEK ISLANDS GUIDE
USEFUL LINKS
TIPS BY PAUL
PRICES

 

MUSEUM OF JEWISH PRESENCE IN THESSALONIKI

It is housed in the listed building erected in 1904, at the junction of Venizelou and 13, Agiou Mina str. This imposing building, in the heart of the commercial sector, survived the 1917 conflagration, and has since housed the Bank of Attica and the press offices of the French language Jewish newspaper “L’ independent”. Exhibited are religious and ceremonial objects, ethnographic material (utensils, costumes), and historical documents (newspapers, photographs, and out of print editions). A specialized library, radio, and film archives, a collection of Sephardic popular songs and accounts of Holocaust survivors, as well as other surviving archival material, such as plans and prints of historical buildings, synagogues, and old maps, are also available.

THE HELLENIC HOUSE

The Jewish community, in an effort to encourage the research and study of Ancient Greek literature and to further promote closer bonds between the peoples of Greece and Israel, undertook the construction of a wing at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Named “The Hellenic House”, it was inaugurated on March 14, 1984; many eminent personalities from the world of politics and culture were present. The wing was dedicated to the memory of the Greek-Jewish students who were killed during the Holocaust. The Academy of Athens and the Rotary Clubs of Thessalonica for this historic gesture honoured the Jewish Community of Thessalonica.

MODERN JEWISH MONUMENTS OF THESSALONIKI

Among the very few recent historical monuments of our city that survived to our day some building that belonged to Jewish families or housed charity institution stand out. The most important ones are:

“Villa Allatini”(198 Vassillissis Olgas str.): A work by the Italian architect Vitaliano Pozelli. It was built in 1888 as the summer residence of the Allatiini family, a family famous for both its business and community activities. Between 1909 and 1912 it was used as the prison-residence of Abdul Hammid ll, which was overturned by the Young Turks. In 1926 it hosted the newly founded University of Thessaloniki while during the 1940-41 war it was used as a hospital. Today. Villa Allatini houses the Prefecture of Thessaloniki. Other monumental buildings of the Allatini family that are still in use today are the mills on Antheon str, and their Bank on Stock Market Squ are.

“Villa Fernandez” (Casa Bianca)(at the corner of Vassillissis Oldas and Th. Sofouli str.): Bulit in 1910 by the Italian architect Pierro Arigoni as a residence of the Jewish businessman Dino Fernandez, it has since been associated with the romantic involvement of his daughter Aline with Lieutenant Aliberti.

“Villa Mordoch”(162, Vas. Olgas Str.): Bulit by the Greek architect Xanophon Paeonides in 1905 as a residence of the Turkish Division Commander Saifulah Pasha. In 1923 another Jewish family, the Mordochs, bought it by the Jewish family Schialom and in 1930. After World War II it housed successively the services of ELAS, the 3rt Army Corps headquarters, and the Social Security Institution of the City of Thessalonica. Today Municipality of Thessaloniki as an Exhibition Hall for paintings uses it.

“Villa Jacob Modiano”(68, Vas. Olgas str.): The engineer Eli Modiano built it in 1906 as the residence of Jacob Modiano. In 1913 the villa was bought by the City of Thessalonica and offered as a palace to king Constantine. It was used in the inter-war period as the residence of Governor General of Macedonia, and it later housed the Military School of Medicine. Since 1970 it has been housing the Macedonia Popular Art Museum.

The visitor interested in the sites associated with the Jewish Community of Thessalonica can also visit the picturesque Modiano Market, the “Saul Modiano Arcade”, the Hippocrates Hospital, built in 1907 by the Jewish Community with the financial support of Baroness Clara de Hirsch, and finally “Yenni Djami” built in 1902 by the “Donmehs”(Jews who had converted to Islam in the 17th century) and used later as Thessalonica’s Archaeological Museum. Since the completion of the new Archaeological Museum, Yenni Djami has been used for painting and sculptures exhibitions.

 

Copyright 2009-2012. All rights reserved.